Ptuj is the oldest documented city in Slovenia, located in north-eastern Slovenia, in the centre of Spodnje Podravje on the border with Prlekija. The entire central part of Ptuj is protected as heritage.
Ptuj’s first chapter in history starts in the Younger Stone Age. Celts, co-creators of the later Noricum, settled in this location in the Late Iron Age, gradually urbanising the settlement location. Roman writers, starting with Tacitus, mention Ptuj several times in relation to significant events, reaching to the time of Vespasian’s election as Caesar in AD 69 to the mention of political activities of the grandfather of the last Roman Emperor in the West, Romulus, deposed in AD 467. These records mark the historical period of Ptuj, which became self-governing unit COLONIA ULPIA TRAIANA POETOVIO around AD 103, reaching its peak in the 2nd and 3rd century, before being burned to the ground by the Huns in AD 450. Between AD 977 and 1555, Ptuj was owned by Salzburg Archbishops, then by the provincial duke. Gradually, education, military, leather industry, wholesale wine trade, train and road connections, and the beginnings of the tourism industry developed in the town.