Dominican Monastery

The Dominican Monastery was founded in 1251 by Siegfried Mahrenbersky and his mother Gisselle, and flourished during the 13th and 15th centuries. In the 16th century, it was damaged by the Turks, twice also by fire. Due to poor construction conditions, the nuns built a new monastery between 1649 and 1666. In 1782, the Josephinian reforms disbanded the monastery. At the end of the 18th century, the monastery was torn down - first the church of the Assumption of Mary (the church with a long chancel), then the eastern and transversal tracts and part of the administrative building. The monastery played an important role in the former Mahrenberg and its surroundings. It developed pharmaceutical (the first pharmacy in Europe since 1666), musical, charity, health, educational, and spiritual activities.