Parish church of Mary's name

Parish church of Mary's name is the central cultural and sacral monument of Ruše and one of the most beautiful Baroque churches in Slovenia. It was built by the St. Paul’s Benedictines in 1387 at the site of the original chapel of 905, which due to the increasingly famous pilgrimage route became too small. To this day, the church has been preserved as a witness of artistic development through different periods (from Roman and Gothic, to Renaissance and Baroque). On its exterior there are visible traces of the Gothic, but when we cross the threshold of the church, the interior glows up in a full Baroque splendour. After the Turkish destruction in 1532, the church was renovated. At the end of the 17th century, four chapels were added and at the beginning of the 18th century, the interior was completely turned into Baroque style. As such it has been preserved to this day and represents an integral monument of the Slovenian Baroque.